Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Transformations

Transformations is a exhibition by the graduating students of the certificate IV in interactive digital media. Students have created work that combines traditional media with new media. I found the exhibition to be quite interesting in the work produced and how they did it. At first I was unsure on how some of the large canvas works were created as they looked computerized as well as painted. I was told by someone that photoshop is used on an image and then its printed onto canvas. They then have the option of painting over this as well. I really liked this technique as it looked both realistic like a photo from afar and when upclose you can see the painted detail.

My favourite work was number 60, called Foxes in the Chook House. I really loved the abstract appearence and colours in the piece. I thought that the angles of the shapes in perspective with the blocks of colours gave it an unusual appearence combined with the trees and wolves. The trees and wolves made it seem dark and gloomy like you were in a scary forest. I think that the scale of the work also greatly helped the effect of the piece. If it was smaller, it wouldn't have the same impact.

I also liked the tank work called 'Not of this World'. I have never seen anything like this before and thought it was a really interesting way to create something. I'm not sure how they did this and it would be interesting to find out. It created a sort of illusion in seeing the woman. I like the colours of the blue and greens. I dont really understand what this piece means but visually it looks great.


Another piece I liked was the one of the muslim women with different buildings in the background i think. I can't remember what number this is so I'm not sure what it is called but I found this to be very stiking and bold. The women in the forground, being so large creates a very strong and bold impact.

I found the variety of mediums, and work on display to be interesting and I learnt new ways to create art.

No comments:

Post a Comment