Thursday, November 26, 2009

Monash Exhibition

I was really looking forward to seeing this exhibition as it was a great opportunity to see what work people doing the degree version of our course are producing. (I also wanted to go as I had friends who were in it so I wanted to see their work)

I was a little disappointed in the exhibition in the end as I would have liked to see more variety of design work. I know the students were given the topic to explore but it would have been more interesting to see more than a poster and book. It wasn’t as graphic and ‘designy’ (not a word I know) as I thought it would be. Most of the work was very minimalistic and plain, which was nice but it would have been good to see something more interesting. It was good however to see the various ways that the books were bound as it gave me ideas for my folio. Some of the books were beautifully bound and used really nice papers.

I also really liked the multimedia room as I saw some cool stuff they have made and some new things they can do with the programs. I really liked the touch screen stuff they did with flash, it was pretty cool to see as we had done flash earlier in the year even if it was only the basics.

I liked the fine art exhibition also. I’m not sure what part it was for but it was where they had decorated and set up a room into a theme. Some of them were really cool, like the one that had the walls covered in bright paper and pictures. I was also looking at some of the photography which was really good and I got to see the print media stuff which is what my friend was doing. Personally I’m not that creative in a fine art way where I can think of these topics and explore them in creative ways through different mediums and installations, so I really appreciate and admire what they have done and how they have explored these topics and ideas.

One thing that I didn’t like about the set up was that there were hardly any signs around. Yes there were signs outside the doors of each room telling you what subject was inside but there weren’t signs directing you to where all the rooms were or to where the fine arts exhibition was. Obviously it was in the fine arts building but if, like myself, you had no idea where you were going it wasn’t very helpful. I ended up getting lost and dragging poor Lauren around trying to find it.

Overall, this exhibition wasn’t as good as I expected but I did get a few good ideas and pointers from it. I enjoyed the multimedia and fine arts more than the graphics part of the exhibition.

No comments:

Post a Comment